Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got terribly confused when replying to this thread - had totally forgotten about it! Maybe it should be re-titled as the "Official N950 Discussion thread", can a mod do the honours? You never know, a member here may get one eventually...

Comment

• Originally posted by indup View Post
      is it just me or is meego os very similar to wp7? they are so similar and very boring when it comes to customisation. meego has no typical homescreen with widgets while wp7 has a very monotone homescreen with a few widget type tiles. i really like to mess about and customise my phone in my own personal style but with meego and wp7 youre very limited with what you can do. this more than anything is making me think twice about buying the n9 which otherwise seems like a nice phone.
      Can't say I'll miss widgets - the MeeGo/N9 way of working is an evolution of the N900 - even though it had 4 desktops with widgets, the preferred workflow was often to ignore the desktop most of the time and stay in the open apps view (which in the N900 included notifications, now split out to their own dedicated view in the N9).

For someone coming from Android (even Symbian) perhaps it is jarring not to have a homescreen full of widgets but to once you become used to a different way of working (ie. true multi-tasking) you realise that a homescreen full of widgets really isn't all that great.

And I suppose user customisations are nice, but a very simple and elegant three-view UI sans customisations may also have it's advantages. That said, you can re-arrange the apps on the app view, and app folders are coming in a future update.

I admit I did customise the desktops on my N900, mainly with app shortcuts and some widgets, but after a few weeks I had stopped accessing the desktop except very occasionally. Now with the N9 you can arrange your commonly used apps to be easily accessible from the app view, and notifications you may have accessed via widgets will be in the notifications view. To me, the N9 UI design makes a lot of sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by MilhouseVH View Post
        Just got terribly confused when replying to this thread - had totally forgotten about it! Maybe it should be re-titled as the "Official N950 Discussion thread", can a mod do the honours? You never know, a member here may get one eventually...
        edited to include both.

Comment

• My view of widgets has changed a lot over the years. When Nokia first started to promote widgets (that's my first recollection of them), I was 'meh' and couldn't see the point.

For whatever reason, clearly Nokia couldn't make a go of it either.

Then they came for Windows and OS X and I could start to see some value in small boxes with key information.

Android then made it a lot more useful, but many widgets do still look terrible and suck loads of power (by unnecessarily consuming too many resources when you're scrolling around the launcher/home screen). However, I now value the ones that give me the info I really need at a glance - which isn't just the weather but live train running info, upcoming appointments and so on.

Even simple widgets that perform key tasks, as against an app shortcut, can be useful.

I'd definitely miss them if I didn't have them now - which is totally the opposite to what I'd have written 4-5 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave View Post
            edited to include both.
            We've already got an official N9 discussion thread - this thread is for the N950, a completely different device.

Either merge the two threads into an N9/N950 thread (probably bad idea as they're both long-ish threads), or - my preference - rename this as the N950 thread since it's full of N950 related pictures and info which may or may not be relevant to the N9.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonmorris View Post
              However, I now value the ones that give me the info I really need at a glance - which isn't just the weather but live train running info, upcoming appointments and so on.

Even simple widgets that perform key tasks, as against an app shortcut, can be useful.
              All of which you have in MeeGo, but in a different form - "at a glance" info either in the events view or via live apps, and app shortcuts in the app view. All views are no more than a single swipe away.

Comment

• N950 hands on - loads of pictures and demo videos (hardware, office documents, browser, calendar, Nokia Drive, camera, Facebook integration, multi-tasking, x-terminal).

The Harmattan software is still considered in "prototype" (beta) form and not yet finished, this applies especially to the version running on the N950 which is older than that demoed on the N9 (firmware revisions should sync across devices once the N9 ships).

Note that desktop Firefox 5 on Win7 scores 286 plus 9 bonus points at www.html5test.com, which is only 3 more than WebKit2 on the N950, however desktop Firefox scores less overall once bonus points are taken into consideration.

As a side note... work is progressing attempting to get the UI to work in landscape mode, with promising results so far. Possibly a community developed application can be provided that will toggle this option on/off. I can see why Nokia decided to lock the UI in portrait mode given the N9 form-factor, but having the UI orientation-aware on the N950 would be nice.

Comment

• A nice little pressie from you-know-who turned up this morning...

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...110714_002.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...110714_006.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...110714_011.jpg

The N950 weighs in at 165g according to my electronic kitchen scales (the N900 is 185g). It's considerably thinner and about an inch longer than the N900. The N950 keyboard is very good with nice spacing and tactile response to each key press.

Transferred my contacts with avatars from the N900 using BT no problem, and logged into my Google Mail account first time - didn't have to enter any email settings at all (just selected "Other mail account" - the standard options being Nokia Account, Mail For Exchange, Facebook, CalDAV and SIP) even though I'm using my own Google Apps domain. No Twitter or Google Talk yet, this is pre-production firmware.

The UI is intuitive, and as slick as it appeared in the launch videos. No hangs, crashes or lag so far after a couple of hours of intensive playing. Currently have 20 applications open, and 620MB memory in use (about 2/3rds).

And finally a snap of the old workhorse, as seen from it's new BFF:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...rom_N950-1.jpg

Comment

• how do you compare it with the n900?

Comment

• I must admit I'm jealous! I really like the E7, but thought the OS sucked. The idea of a decent OS on it seems soooooo tempting.

Comment

• Originally posted by indup View Post
                        how do you compare it with the n900?
                        It's a big step up from the N900, the hardware is much nicer (lighter, thinner), the keyboard is better, and the huge memory increase (256MB -> 1GB) means that I'm yet to experience any slow down even when running 22 applications (my best score yet ).

Opening the keyboard is a bit tricky and requires both hands (I always think I'll drop it when the keyboard "snaps" into position), but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually.

It's still pre-production firmware and is missing several features - close on down swipe isn't present and would be much appreciated as I end up with so much stuff left running that I don't really need; Twitter and Google Talk integration isn't here, nor is the Swype keyboard present (nor are any other virtual keyboard layouts other than English). These will all come with a future firmware update (when the N9 launches, if not sooner).

The new Maps application is pretty excellent, certainly much better than the version in the N900.

The camera UI is as fast as they said it was, no lag flipping between the camera app and gallery and vice versa.

It's got 16GB storage, so time to fill it up and check out the media playback side of things...

Comment

• Millhouse, now you have the handset in your hands, do you think Nokia have missed a trick by not giving this a wider release like the N900?

Comment

• Nice little post about an HTML5 speed test carried out using an N9, iPad 2 and Samsung Galaxy S2.

[*]MeeGo/Harmattan: 283 and 14 bonus points.[*]iOS: 217 and 7 bonus points.[*]Android: 184 and 1 bonus point
                            • Apparently someone running iOS 5 got 304 + 9 bonus points but both the N9 and iOS 5 are yet to be commercially released.
                            • Nokia's browser is certainly very well put together.
                            • Google's browser experience is relatively poor.
                            • IE9 on WP7 is apparently no slouch either.

To me, the most interesting thing here is Android's low score.
                            It kind of sums up Android really - cheap, ramshackle, thrown-together, disparate modules and bits of code.
                            Nothing on Android seems best-in-class except the maps - Microsoft and Nokia have a genuine opportunity to challenge that in the smart device mass market.
                            The app store stinks.
                            The vanilla UI feels cheap - and yes I know customised versions by OEMs and 3rd parties can look swish.
                            Enterprise support is weak.

But volumes continue to go from strength to strength because the ecosystem offers a very reasonable smartphone experience at the lower price points.
                            However, there is no reason why Microkia and Apple cannot play in some of the lower price points and get their fair share of those segments

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkJ View Post
                              Millhouse, now you have the handset in your hands, do you think Nokia have missed a trick by not giving this a wider release like the N900?
                              It's a very nice device to hold for sure, and using it one-handed isn't too difficult either (just the touch-screen, obviously). The N9 will be similar if not better (being slightly thinner, lighter, with polycarbonate body and not aluminium, plus curved glass/AMOLED display/NFC that are missing on the N950). Of course if the "leaked" WP7 video is true, the first WP7 device will have similar characteristics to the N9, though I'm still sceptical about Nokia being able to remove the standard three WP7 buttons on the front.

I think it goes without saying that Nokia are missing a trick by bailing on these devices, but I think we all know why that is - Microsoft know they will only succeed if there is no other competition, and Elop is certainly helping that happen at Nokia (with the Microsoft legal department doing the rest).

Comment

• Originally posted by MilhouseVH View Post
                                It's a very nice device to hold for sure, and using it one-handed isn't too difficult either (just the touch-screen, obviously). The N9 will be similar if not better (being slightly thinner, lighter, with polycarbonate body and not aluminium, plus curved glass/AMOLED display/NFC that are missing on the N950). Of course if the "leaked" WP7 video is true, the first WP7 device will have similar characteristics to the N9, though I'm still sceptical about Nokia being able to remove the standard three WP7 buttons on the front.

I think it goes without saying that Nokia are missing a trick by bailing on these devices, but I think we all know why that is - Microsoft know they will only succeed if there is no other competition, and Elop is certainly helping that happen at Nokia (with the Microsoft legal department doing the rest).
                                can you say what nokia charged you for it? i bet it came with a premium for being so exclusive?
                                PS, Didn't realise you were a developer??

Comment

Working...
                                X