Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
LG PC Suite not working properly. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LG PC Suite not working properly.

    Hi folks,

    Just recieved my LG viewty last week and think its great. However.........

    ... I can't get my LG PC Suite to work properly with it. Some of the functions of it work fine, but I can't browse the content of the phone on my home PC's, which all use vista!

    The phone and software appears to of installed fine, the phone is visible in explorer when its plugged in and some of the functions of the pc suite work such as viewing the music thats on the phone and also the backup function works.

    But without being able to access the phone memory either through the pc suite or by exploring the phone i can't put movies / music etc onto the phone nor can i take my photos and videos off, which is really really irritating!

    It works completely fine on my work XP computer, but that doesn't really help all that much. I can't find any info online about it and the LG site is next to useless

    Anyone know why i can't connect properly or how to get around it?

    I've tried it on 3 PC's at home and its the same on all of them, hence why i reckon its got to be a vista issue.

  • #2
    Hi Ive had my Viewty 2 Days & Love it but have this exact same issue. Cannot see phone contents Except Music via the music manager. I too am on Vista (Home Premium & Ultimate to be exact.) I think we need to raise this with LG. Anyone else in this situation?

    Basically we have a 5M camera with no way of getting the pictures of of them, bit of a nigtmare really

    Cheers
    Stuart

    Comment


    • #3
      Virtual PC anyone?

      This bug really is a pain for me as all my PC's here are on Vista. However I do have some music software that I use which still only runs in XP. So I do need a XP OS of some sort. I dont want to dual boot so am going to giv Virtual PC 2007a try. This allows you to run various other OS (in my case XP) under vista. A link is here http://lifehacker.com/software/windo...-pc-238071.php

      That way I can get PC Suite to allow me to access my files. Talk about a sledge hammer to crack a nut!!!

      Stuart

      Comment


      • #4
        Sussed it!!!!!

        OK Hope this helps. Ive been having the exact same problem in XP. Just about to throw the phone at the wall (not really)

        It appears that the driver for the phone does not work as you would expect. Normally you would plug in a phone or camera & get a removable drive pop up in explorer... Yes???

        Well not in this case, the icon you do see for labeled LG Phone does nothing for me. However if you go into the PC Suite S/W & Click the Contents Icon under Tools you will get access to all the files on the phone. Yes I know it seems obvious now, but this is just not what you would normally expect IMO.

        Anyway Im now a happy bunny, as I can d/l the pics I took today

        Hope this helps someone it took me 3 hours of faffing around maybe it will save someone some time

        Stuart

        Comment


        • #5
          Still connot download images....

          Errrrrr I still have problems.

          I can now see the images on the phone via PC Suite Contents, but they do not seem to always copy & when they only 1 file in 20 is viewable. The rest just say "File Maybe Corrupt" whe you try to view.

          I have tried this on Vista Home Premium & XP Pro SP1 & no luck as it stands I cannot get any of files from my phone. Ive also tried changing the usb setting in the phone to Mass Storage, no luck.

          I have never seen a removable drive letter in explorer for the phone. Do I have a faulty phone? This is driving me nuts anyone else having these sort of issues. I did read on a review somewhere that the guy reviewing the phone also had this. But surely this is not a bug else how are we to get our pictures from the phone?

          Please help, Im tearing my hair out, even if just to post to say you are having similar issues. At least I will know Im not alone!!!!

          Cheers
          Stuart



          Originally posted by sdemmery View Post
          OK Hope this helps. Ive been having the exact same problem in XP. Just about to throw the phone at the wall (not really)

          It appears that the driver for the phone does not work as you would expect. Normally you would plug in a phone or camera & get a removable drive pop up in explorer... Yes???

          Well not in this case, the icon you do see for labeled LG Phone does nothing for me. However if you go into the PC Suite S/W & Click the Contents Icon under Tools you will get access to all the files on the phone. Yes I know it seems obvious now, but this is just not what you would normally expect IMO.

          Anyway Im now a happy bunny, as I can d/l the pics I took today

          Hope this helps someone it took me 3 hours of faffing around maybe it will save someone some time

          Stuart

          Comment


          • #6
            See i can't use the contents button either, if i try it I get an error up that says invalid access to memory.

            So i can't explore the phone in windows explorer, or use the contents button in the LG PC Suite.

            However, for some reason I can access the Multimedia editor and get access to the tunes i have on the phone... is very weird!

            Ah well, have it hooked up to my XP pc at work, and its working fine there....

            Comment


            • #7
              To get files off the phone can you not just move each file from the phone memory to the memory card and then remove the card?

              I had loads of photos on my phone memory before my card arrived, but when it did I just marked them all and moved to external memory.

              Comment


              • #8
                External Card Only?

                So Gaz are you saying that you also were not able to access your internal memory of the phone? Im begining to suspect this is the case but just need some confirmation.

                So if you are a Viewty owner with no Memory Card (Unlikely I guess but I am at the moment) you cannot get the images from the phone? I expected to see a removable drive in explorer. Is this going to appear when I get my memory card?

                Seems a bit crap if you have 170MB of internal memory that you cannot access the images on. Obviously once the card is installed I will only probably store data on this. I certainly would not want to take the card out of the phone each time I needed to D/L files from it. Thats a sure fire way to get problems with the card slot (you know the old cannot read card) like you often get on cameras. Besides which you have to take the battery off each time. Major design fault there.

                Stu

                Comment


                • #9
                  Had mine for a few days now and am loving it.

                  I looked at the pc suite just now and it seems that if you want to access the phone memory, the phone has to be in data service and not mass data storage mode (phone settings>connectivity>usb mode). With it connected like that, I am able to browse the phone using the tools>contents part of LG suite.

                  I also seem to be able to access the memory card in this mode but I think it's quicker to transfer files to/from the card when the phone is set to mass storage device.

                  I only get the removable drive letter when the phone is in mass storage too.

                  Hope that helps.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It becomes clearer...?

                    Thanks for that Mingo,

                    So you seem to be getting the same behaviour as me. Could you check one more thing for me. When you view the Images (On the phone, not the Memory Card) using the PC Suite > Contents, you say you can see the pictures (me to) but try to right click copy them & then attempt to paste onto your PC. What happens? I get nothing. So in summary I believe you cannot copy images from the internal memory to your PC. As Gaz said previously it may be a case of copying the images using the phones software from Internal Memory to the Card. Still think thats pretty crap. I know this phone is very new but its just crying out for someone to make some decent software for it. I would buy it

                    Stu

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sdemmery View Post
                      So Gaz are you saying that you also were not able to access your internal memory of the phone? Im begining to suspect this is the case but just need some confirmation.
                      No, I was just offering a solution.

                      For what it's worth (I know it doesn't help you) - I installed LG PC Suite on my XP machine and it's worked perfectly since the beginning. The phone connects fine via usb and I can browse the phone memory with no problems.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sdemmery View Post
                        Thanks for that Mingo,

                        So you seem to be getting the same behaviour as me. Could you check one more thing for me. When you view the Images (On the phone, not the Memory Card) using the PC Suite > Contents, you say you can see the pictures (me to) but try to right click copy them & then attempt to paste onto your PC. What happens? I get nothing.

                        Stu
                        Ok I had another look. It seems you have to double click on the image you want to move from the contents, so that the thumbnail appears at the bottom of the screen. Then you can simply drag and drop the file to your computer. It won't copy and paste for some reason but dragging and dropping seems fine. It does seem a little long winded having to double click each file, but after you've clicked them all, you can select them all and drop them to your pc in one go.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just spoke to Three Tech Support & .....

                          After spending a total of 90mins with tech support on the phone I am no further forward & very angry.

                          It was apparent that the phone was a very new device to them & they seemed unfamiliar with the U990 software packaged with the phone & asked me to navigate to the transfer & view menus which don't exist on our u990 S/W. So they sent me to this site http://uk.lgmobile.com/web/web.common.Main.laf to download the PC Suite S/W. This turned out to be an old version, I was asked to uninstall the supplied S/W (not the driver though) & then try this. Sure all the menus were there that they expected, but the appliaction crashed everytime.

                          So they had me switch to my XP Partition (I have dual boot) & carry out the same exercise in XP. Message the U990 is not supported with this S/W. This just shows they are not running the Viewty their end as it simply wouldn't work with this combo of S/W & H/W

                          So after spending all this time on the phone with them, I was told "we have looked on the LG website & there is no new S/W at this time, but it won't be long until an update is out" Who the hell are they kidding, we all know that LG are notoriously bad at releasing S/W. I am a programmer myself & it really amazes me how such buggy S/W can get through User Acceptance Testing. Do they seriously think that I didn't look for any update before ringing them?

                          Blood boiling at this point, I started demanding that I be allowed to return the phone & have my contract voided, It was amazing to listen to how quickly they tried to wash their hands of the issue & implied that they had done all they could & I should wait for a S/W update, What are they on? the phone is only 3 days old & unfit for purpose!

                          Ok Rant over....


                          Now thanks to this forum & Mingo I now have a solution all be it rediculously long winded. Your right Mingo if you click on each file in content manager you can indeed then drag & drop the images. I intend to take about 100 pics a week so this is going to be unbelievably monotonous.

                          The LG S/W in the main functions pretty well in most areas (syncing with outlook was easy) but most of us will choose the Viewty over other phones because of the Camera, but if the S/W is so useless for retrieving the pictures then I think you have to seriously question if this is the right phone for you. I will sleep on it, but I may be heading to the Three shop in the morning to return this "Beauty Viewty".

                          Thanks all who helped here & sorry Jonn13 for hijacking your thread

                          Forums Rock!

                          Stuart

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Duhhh I'm Stupid, well sort of....

                            OK OK OK I admit it I am stupid! Well sort of.

                            After countless hours trying to get my files off of the internal memory of my new Viewty. I finally cracked it. Firstly I have to say, the help file with the PC Suite software is pretty useless & this application simply does not work as I think most people would expect.

                            You cannot use the copy function or drag & drop the files to your desktop or CD drive directly. You must do all your transfer operations within the PC SUite content manager window.

                            So for example select an image in the images folder of the Viewty using Content Manager. Right Click on an image & Select Copy. Here comes the crucial part. Select a destination location using the explorer type window to the left. (Do not explore using Windows Explorer!) Then simply right click & select copy. The same is true in reverse getting files onto the Viewty.

                            There you are I told you it was simple, but I have to say I work in the computer industry & it wasnt obvious to me & it wasn't to Three Tech Suport Either (but thats not saying much)

                            So Mingo & others if your stuck give this a go, works for me in Vista & XP

                            Cheers

                            Stu

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by sdemmery View Post
                              Errrrrr I still have problems.

                              I can now see the images on the phone via PC Suite Contents, but they do not seem to always copy & when they only 1 file in 20 is viewable. The rest just say "File Maybe Corrupt" whe you try to view.

                              I have tried this on Vista Home Premium & XP Pro SP1 & no luck as it stands I cannot get any of files from my phone. Ive also tried changing the usb setting in the phone to Mass Storage, no luck.

                              I have never seen a removable drive letter in explorer for the phone. Do I have a faulty phone? This is driving me nuts anyone else having these sort of issues. I did read on a review somewhere that the guy reviewing the phone also had this. But surely this is not a bug else how are we to get our pictures from the phone?

                              Please help, Im tearing my hair out, even if just to post to say you are having similar issues. At least I will know Im not alone!!!!

                              Cheers
                              Stuart
                              Its not a fault you can only use mass storage if you have a sd card.

                              it will not show as a drive unless mass storage is on!

                              you must use the lg suite

                              you cant drag and drop the files to or from the phone to the pc ( ie another window, like you would normaly ) only inside the lg window.

                              using lg suite contents program, then with the file browser on the left select the folder you want yor pic's ( or what ever ) then drag them across.

                              i had this problem of only being able to transfer 1 photo at a time until i realized this.

                              hope this helps

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X